A large soil stabilisation programme was being undertaken on a former industrial site. The groundwater was impacted by gasworks contaminants and tars.
Our client contacted Geo2 in order to:
- Pump and Treat the downgradient plume area, during excavation works, to prevent potential offsite migration of mobilised or residual contamination, over the three month programme of works.
- Treatment of Abstracted Groundwater from the soil stabilisation excavations.
The system was developed to include:
- Settlement Tanks, to remove suspended solids from the dewatered excavation,
- Oil-water Separator Vessels, to recover floating product and separate sinking product,
- Sand Filtration, to remove fine sediment from the water stream,
- Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filtration to adsorb dissolved gasworks contaminants.
The system treated an average of 40m3 per day of liquids of various quality and a total in excess of 2,500m3 of liquids were treated over the 3 month programme.
Routine discharge sampling proved that contaminant loading remained below laboratory detection limits throughout the works, minimising the water disposal costs.